Monday, May 31, 2010

MLB Power Swing Part 2

Just a quick post. Actually, this is more accurately a follow up to my previous "MLB power swing" post. This past Saturday, Roy Halladay threw the 20th perfect game in MLB history. What made this even more unique was the fact that Dallas Braden threw a perfect game just 3 short weeks ago on Mother's Day. This feat hasn't happened in professional baseball since the late 1800s. Going a step further, Ubaldo Jimenez threw a no-hitter earlier this year as well. So if you're scoring at home, that's 3 separate games where the opposing hitters have failed to get even one hit. I'm not sure of the statistics on this particular situation, but I'd venture to say this doesn't happen very often.

So, I reiterate my initial thesis. I believe the balance of power is shifting back to, at least, even. Where it was recently a hitter's game, the pitchers are beginning to really reclaim some of their territory. I don't expect to see a 50 homer season and especially not more than one. Perhaps we haven't seen the last no-hitter this year either. I will check back in toward the end of the year to see just how these stats have played out. I am projecting that starting pitching innings pitched, complete games, shutouts, and strike outs will all be up this year.

Stay tuned for more info!!

Until Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment