Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Give Me the Ball!!


So, I've tried to be very positive with most, and or all, of my posts so far in the LessisMorePitching universe. Unfortunately, that all ends to day thanks to Cole Hamels. As a general rule, I like the guy as a pitcher. I'll admit, he has struggled some this year, especially in the playoffs, but as I mentioned in his Big League Breakdown, he really has one of the best change ups in the game and is very very good.

But................

After his comments following game 3 of the World Series, I've lost a bit of respect for the guy. In case you missed it, following his loss to the Yankees he was asked what went wrong and basically his response involved complaints about the erratic start times during the season and that he "could wait for the season to end." He continued to say it has been an emotionally draining season and just needed a fresh start.

A fresh start!?!?!?!?! You want the season to end!?!?!?!? You're still in the WORLD SERIES, Cole!!!!! You could possibly be the GAME 7 starter!!!!! As a professional baseball player myself, I can relate to being frustrated with a few bad games or even an entire season, but I also understand just how delicate the balance in a club house can be. There's no doubt that he'll be getting more than just a few dirtly looks from his teammates...espeically if they don't mount an incredible comeback in game 6 and 7. I would be much more understanding of his comments if his season were over. In fact, Derek Lowe was quoted saying similar things at the conclusion of his disappointing season. But his team was completely out of contention and had no way to make it in. I just couldn't believe he was so short-sighted to feed the media with such explosive material with two games to go in the world series. There's no doubt countless distractions as it is for all the players involved in the game...let alone the media asking everyone how the feel about Cole Hamel's comments.

From a pitching standpoint, the "Intelligent Pitcher" must always appear and act confident on the outside even if he doesn't necessarily feel it on the inside. Trust me, hitters are like wolves, they can smell and feed off of fear. And perhaps he did the Phillies a favor but giving them an idea of how unconfident he is. Hopefully, the will not give him the ball for game 7. I know atleast one former Philadelphia Philly agrees with me. Mitch Williams was asked if Cole should start, and he rightly said there is no way he can be given the baseball now. Again, let me acknowledge that I understand some of what Hamels is going through and I know that confidence and success are both absolutely necessary for the other to survive. It then begs the age old athletic question...what comes first "Confidence or Success?"

Regardless, Cole should have really thought twice before being so honest with the media. The fact remains that game 7 is still a possibility and whoever gets the baseball will undoubtedly be nervous. But he also will be the most focused, anxious, and fired up for the most important game of the season. The person who starts this game MUST want the baseball and never let on that he has EVER doubted a pitch he's ever thrown.

THE INTELLIGENT PITCHER MUST EXUDE COCKY CONFIDENCE!

Until next time......I'll return to my postive upbeat nature next entry...I promise...unless Cole says something else rediculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment