Monday, September 21, 2009

Welcome to Less is More Pitching


Welcome to the first entry of the Less is More : The Art of Intelligent Pitching phenomena. My name is Forrest Cory and I have been a professional baseball player for four years. I've played as high as AA baseball with the Arizona Diamondbacks and won an American Association Independent title with the Lincoln Saltdogs. I have learned and studied my craft under the guidance of countless major league caliber coaches such as Mel Stottlemyer Sr. and Jr., (Yankees and Royals respectively) Jeff Pico (Cubs), Doug Jones (Brewers and others), Jim Farr (Rangers), Matt Nokes (Tigers and others) and many others. I've traded tips and picked the brain of countless teamates and opponents who are currently in the major leagues, (Randy Johnson, Brandon Webb, Max Sherzer, Greg Smith, Brett Anderson and many others) and that is not including the countless catchers and other position players with whom I've discussed hitting and pitching.

I've decided that is now time that begin to share my knowledge. The tips, techniques, drills, approaches, and strategies that I have learned over the years have helped me far exceed my potential to suceed at the levels I've pitched. As a left-handed pitcher who has never thrown a baseball 90 mph, I've used every piece of advice I've gotten to try and gain every advantage possible in the most competitive of sporting match-ups: pitcher vs. batter.

Today, I simply want to explain the main concept behind Less is More Pitching. The common misconception about pitching is that when a pitcher is trying to locate a pitch, get ahead of a hitter, or strike that hitter out, he must physically get tougher, stronger, and exert more effort and power to force a pitch where it is supposed to go. I have learned that the contrary is actually the case. It is said that Greg Maddux understood this mantra the best. He believed that when the heat is on and a pitcher must make that "one pitch" to get out of an inning or get a big hitter out, the worst thing he can do is "press" or try harder. The Intelligent Pitcher must learn to maintain his focus level without getting out of control. He must slow the game down, remain loose, and allow his mechanics to do the work for him.

This belief system is the idea behind my philosphy on pitching. If a pitcher wishes to repeat his delievery more often, to throw the ball harder, to excute the right pitch at the right time, he must prepare himself the right way everyday before the game so that when it comes time to make that pitch, he can "let go" and let his delievery do the work for him. This blog will be maintained and update a few times a week with shorter posts and videos covering any and all aspects of the "Less is More" philosphy. Please leave comments and questions and I will happily add some of them into the blog. Its time to command the game the way and Intelligent Pitcher should.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good man. Very well written. I'm still not clear on what's wrong with fascism...it was all the rage back in the 30s. Very informative though. I hope young pitchers listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I'm very passionate about the game as both a professional player and pitching instructor. Please keep tuning in as the blog expands.

    ReplyDelete